Thursday, December 15, 2011

Scared

We've a scary past few days!  Here's a recap on all that happened:

Over the weekend, I was having elevated blood pressure readings, difficulty breathing, and frequent/constant headaches.  On Sunday, I checked my blood pressure prior to working a 12-hr shift and it read 133/103.  During the shift, one of my friends checked my BP & it was normal.  By the time I got home, it was 155/100.  I knew I had an appointment the next morning, so I didn't head to the hospital at this time.  At my appointment on Monday, my BP was 129/96 and there was protein in my urine.  My doctor was concerned and sent me to Medical City to have a full preeclampsia workup.  Preeclampsia is when a pregnant woman develops high bp and protein in the urine after the 20th week (late 2nd or 3rd trimester) of pregnancy.  You can read up on it at http://www.pennmedicine.org/health_info/pregnancy/000200.htm.

At the hospital on Monday, my BPs were back to normal, but the OB hospitalist was really concerned about my brisk reflexes & headaches not relieved with Tylenol.  She threatened to deliver Cason that night if my headaches didn't resolve.  I started a 24-hr urine collection to check how much protein I put out in a whole day.  Almost all of my BPs were good on Tuesday and my urine test came back ok, so I was sent home on modified bed rest that evening.  This means I can do little things like go to the mailbox, take short car rides, etc, but nothing that requires exertion. Mostly, I hang out on the couch.

Last night, I feared that Cason was trying to come into this world early because I had the absolute worst Braxton Hicks contractions to date.  This continued for about 2 hours, but thankfully my prayers were heard.  If he had come last night, we wouldn't be able to have surgery for at least 2 more weeks and would probably have to keep him going with lots of breathing assistance.  More complications added to his already complicated young life. We really need to keep this kiddo in place for at least 4 more weeks to give him the best chance during his open heart surgery. 

My family and friends have been and are continuing to be amazing throughout all of this.  My wonderful parents have prepared a bunch of our favorite meals & froze them, so that all we have to do is pop them in the oven or microwave.  Brian, my bro, has been so helpful with Coyt.  My dear friend, Amy, is organizing a support group to help us out where needed.  I have received so many wonderful Facebook comments, emails, texts, & phone calls.  Your continued prayers are the greatest gift of all.  Thank you each and every one of you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment